How to find your Employer Identification Number (EIN)
An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a Federal Tax Identification Number. An EIN permits the identification of a business entity. Every business needs an EIN in the US to operate. You'll need an EIN to open a business crypto bank account with us.
What EIN document do we accept at Multis?
To open a crypto USD account at Multis, you'll need one of these three:
- CP 575 form
- 147c letter
- SS4 form if you operate only on US territory.
How to get an EIN?
Spoiler alert: the IRS is still in the non-digital era. They'll communicate by mail or fax. If you want to get the job done, we recommend Hellofax from YC.
For US-registered companies (with US-citizen founders)
- Find the Social Security Number (SSN) of the founders.
- Apply online here.
For US-registered companies (without US-citizens founders)
If none of the founders have an SSN, you'll need to follow the next steps:
- Complete the SS-4 form
- Call the IRS "Business Tax Help" number: +1 (800) 829 4933.
- They will ask a series of questions about your company.
- Fax the completed SS-4 form to +1 304 707 94 71 using Hellofax
For foreign entities
Foreign companies are eligible for EINs. If you're UK or France based, you can apply for an EIN to open a crypto US bank by following the next steps:
- Complete an SS-4 form
- Make sure that you are eligible to get the EIN. The business owner or a Third Party Designee has the right to request an EIN.
- Call the IRS at 267-941-1099 (not a toll-free number) from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. And press the appropriate number from the menu to receive a foreign EIN.
- They will issue an EIN at the end of your call, which you can use immediately. Be sure to write the number down and keep it in a safe place. Your physical copy will come in the mail to your U.S. address a few weeks later. If you don’t have a U.S. address, ask the representative if they will mail the EIN or send it via email.
Did you lose your CP575?
When you first get an EIN Number, the IRS sends you an EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575).
- If you got your EIN Number online, you can download the CP 575 online
- If you got your EIN Number by mail or fax, the IRS will mail you a CP 575 (it takes 4-6 weeks to arrive)
The IRS only issues the EIN Confirmation Letter (CP 575) once. You can’t get this letter again. But you can ask for an EIN Verification Letter (147C). Both documents have the same legal value.
How to get a 147C EIN Verification Letter from the IRS
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-4933 (the “business and specialty tax line”).
- Press option 1 for English.
- Press option 1 for Employer Identification Numbers.
- Press option 3: "If you already have an EIN but can’t remember it, etc.”
- Tell the IRS agent you need an EIN Verification Letter (147C).
- The IRS agent will ask a few security questions to confirm you own your company.
- Tell the IRS agent whether you’d like to receive the 147C Letter by mail or fax.
- by mail: 4-6 weeks to the mailing address they have on file.
- by fax: Use Hellofax to simplify your life.
- The IRS will fax you the 147C Letter while you’re on the phone.
Tip: The IRS agent will ask, “Do you have a private and secure fax next to you?” If you are using a digital/online fax, say yes.
We're crypto native, you can check our Mirror blog. Don't forget to subscribe for fast-light product updates and high quality content.